Thursday, August 27, 2015

Closets

I have a confession.  I hate walk-in closets.  They waste space.  Their existence in a house means the architect was too lazy to figure out how to do a better layout, or that a renovator has taken away otherwise livable space in the name of hoarding.

When you want a house with a large modern kitchen and 3-4 bedrooms, you resign yourself to accepting one or two walk-in closets.  I have a whole Pinterest board on how to reclaim walk-in closets: library nooks, built-in beds, hidden rooms, etc.

I am delighted to report that this house does not have any walk-in closets.  Unless you count the closet under the stairs (which I do not because the ceiling is very low and slopes to the floor).

This house has something a million times better: double-decker closets.
Paneled bedroom
Behold, a closet.  It's next to the built-in dresser.  The windows are behind me; you can see the reflection of some of them in the mirror above the dresser.

Look up.  There are three pairs of doors.  CLOSETS ON TOP OF OTHER CLOSETS.  

Master bedroom. I love how there used to be a circular mirror above the dresser here.  
There are some in the master bedroom as well, and also in the third bedroom.

Incidentally, the third bedroom is the only room in the house that can be painted on all the walls. That's how it earned the name "Painted room", and it will be a lovely Tahitian Blue when we're done. All the other walls in the house are brick or paneling, except the one wall between the rumpus room and the artists' studio.  We're going to leave that wall alone. 

2 comments:

  1. Can you point me to your pinterest board? My house has a huge closet that is pretty wasted right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.pinterest.com/zaposa/nooks/

      It's not as extensive as I remember... I think probably some of the pins went into another board on architecture shopping:

      https://www.pinterest.com/zaposa/architecture-shopping/

      Delete